Friday, June 24, 2011

A List of Great Things

Because it's important to be thankful.  Here is what I'm thankful for this minute.

1.  Free movies.  Turns out the Cine Club at my school shows free classic movies on the weekdays.  Yesterday I watched the Godfather and the today was Apocalypse Now (guess it was Brando/Coppola week).  The rub is that they've been doing this all year and I've just ignored the fliers (dum dum dum).  One thing I have really missed this year is accessibility to movies, both new ones and old standbys that I used to watch monthly (10 months with no LOTR is an anomaly).  I get that you can watch movies on the internet, but most often the quality doesn't cut it for me and watching on the computer is not as fun as on a screen, especially the big screen.

2. Abuelita's quips.  I can't wait until I'm 93 and get to say whatever I want.  Examples: 

"You are much prettier when you aren't hungover." - At lunch the other day (she's probably right).

"You're going to make a wonderful housewife."  - Whenever I do the dishes (daily), it's a compliment.

"If you want to stay in Chile it's simple.  Just find a man and marry him." - Oh, so that's how you do it.  Simple.

"You don't want to get fat." - Whenever I refuse a second helping of anything (daily).

"Poor Seba." - On Chilean President, Sebastian Piñera.  They're on friendly terms, apparently.

"I saw on the news that even girls are protesting!" - On the Patgonia and education protests.

"I need to modernize." - After requesting that I paint her nails blue.

Also, after she says anything funny like above, I always smile, laugh or nod sagely, but Maite always says,  "Ay, mamá!"  




3. My hot water bottle.  The best invention.  I don't know how I ever got through winter without warming up my sheets with the guatero while I brush my teeth (although I suspect central heating has something to do with it).  Chileans call it "pololo," meaning boyfriend because it heats up your bed (good one, guys).  Abuelita and I have matching ones.

4.  Street dogs.  They are such a part of this city and South America...I'm never afraid of walking around at night because I'm never alone.  Some dog is always following me.  I'll miss you guys.  There's The Dog We Don't Touch, Big Balls Chip, Wolf Dog, Chica, Don Jimmy (RIP), Señor Pulgas and of course, Guiseppe/Rat Face/Red Eye. I would give you all a hug if I wasn't afraid of your diseases.  Sigh...I'm going to miss South America.  


The most famous dog (he has his own fbook page).  Photo by Jac.

No comments: