Thursday, July 7, 2011

So Close/Far

Blogging as a method of procrastination is an entirely new option for me, but here I am, avoiding my final projects in lieu of updating my four readers (hello, China!) about the last days of my Chilean life on the internet. 

Well,  I am two papers and a presentation away from winter break (and summer, WEIRD), but the date and place on that presentation is still TBD (most annoying thing) because guess what, the school has been taken.  Yes, la U está en toma, meaning that all the students are on strike, they have barricaded the entrances, lit bonfires and are preventing anyone from entering the school.  This is part of a national movement for "better education" which from what I understand just means "free education."  I haven't actually gotten a satisfactory answer about what their goals are but I am not at all impressed by the strike because from my experience with Chilean classes, attendance is optional, due dates are more like suggestions and class is not expected to start until a solid ten minutes after the scheduled time.  I hate it.  Strong words, I know, but I always attend class, ALWAYS.  I think I have skipped maybe twice in my college career and one of those times was so I could go skiing in Utah.  And when I'm one of four that regularly shows up to a class of twenty that only meets once a week, well I feel sort of foolish.  Luckily, I am so over trying to fit in in my Chilean classes, so through incessant badgering of my professors via email, I'm doing my finals, national movements be damned.  Oh, how I cannot wait for real classes again!  Books!  Professors that show up on time!  Academic standards!  Do I sound like Hermione?  Maybe, but that is so fine with me. 
 Best part of the strike: someone drew frowny faces on every light on campus.

In other news, ten days!  Which means I can start putting stuff on hold at the good old Tigard library in a few days.  Big, big plans, I know.  Watch out, Tigard.

No comments: